Why this course is perfect for you?
This Skills Programme is designed for learners to form a foundation in Information Technology as a career. This PC Technologies programme prepares learners to do the CompTIA A+ exam. PC Technologies is aimed at those who wish to become PC technicians. At the end of this programme learners will be able to repair and upgrade hardware as well as support and trouble-shoot software and operating systems.
This Skills Programme is part of a MICT SETA accredited full qualification: FET Certificate: Technical Support, SAQA ID 78964, Level 4, 163 credits.
Careers you’d be great at
Successful learners could pursue a career as a/an:
- IT Technician
- PC Support Technician
How to get in?
- English and Mathematics at NQF level 4/Grade 12 or equivalent
- Approved CAT exemption
- Basic knowledge of computer components (keyboard, mouse, etc.)
Time you will spend on the course
The programme duration is 236 hours and the tuition is face-to-face based on the NQF notional hours. This excludes time to complete assessments, do research and self study. Each Damelin campus has a different tuition schedule. Programmes are offered during the week, in the evenings, or on Saturdays.
Course content and modules
- Work with RAM, CPUs, motherboards, power supplies, and other PC components
- Install, partition, and format hard drives
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7
- Troubleshooting PCs and implement security measures
- Install video and multimedia cards
- Work with portable PCs, PDA, smart-phones, and Wireless Technologies
- Managing Printers and connects to the Networks and Internet
- Understand safety and environmental issues
- Establish good communication skills and adhere to privacy policies
This programme includes a compulsory Workplace Learning component. Workplace learning provides important opportunities for professional and personal growth. It addresses specific competencies identified for the acquisition of the qualification, which relates to the development of skills that will make the learner employable and will assist in developing his/her personal skills.
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
The strength in your qualification
- On successful completion of the programme, and if the learner is found competent in the PoE, the learner will receive a Damelin letter of results outlining the outcomes covered and Damelin will apply to MICT SETA on behalf of the learner for the endorsement of competency against the outcomes covered together with the credits obtained.
- Upon successful completion of the optional external International exams, the learner will receive a CompTIA A+ Certificate (International recognition).