Why this course is perfect for you?
This programme focuses on the practical aspects of relational database implementation. It covers the implementation of databases in a software package where learners will acquire the skills to create databases, forms, reports, queries and also maintaining databases.
This Skills Programme is part of a full qualification that is mapped to a cluster of unit standards taken from a programme that is accredited by MICT SETA, namely National Certificate in Information Technology: Systems Development, SAQA ID 48872, NQF level 5, 131 Credits.
Careers you’d be great at
Successful learners could pursue a career as a:
- Database Administrator
- Database Developer
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (upon successful completion of the optional external exams)
How to get in?
- Foundational skills in English and Mathematics at NQF level 4/Grade 12 or equivalent
- Ability to use a personal computer competently
Time you will spend on the course
The programme duration is 118 hours and the tuition is face-to-face based on the NQF notional hours. This excludes time to complete assessments, do research and self study. Each Damelin campus has a different tuition schedule. Programmes are offered during the week, in the evenings, or on Saturdays.
Course content and modules
This programme constitutes theoretical database work on querying as well as practical computer work which includes database creation, data input, reporting, querying and maintenance. The use of the database package Microsoft Access 2007/10 is required.
- The database environment
- Fundamentals of data modelling
- Relational model
- Normalisation of database tables
- Advanced data modelling
- Setting up and using relational databases
- Maintaining and querying databases
- SQL language
- Practical work using Microsoft Access
- Creating a user interface for a database
- Program control structures (decision and repetition)
This programme includes a compulsory Workplace Learning component. Workplace learning provides important opportunities for professional and personal growth. It addresses specific competencies identified for the acquisition of the qualification, which relates to the development of skills that will make the learner employable and will assist in developing his/her personal skills.
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
The strength in your qualification
- Upon successful completion of the programme, if the learner is found to be “Competent” in the PoE, the learner will receive a Damelin letter of results outlining the unit standards covered and Damelin will apply to MICT SETA on behalf of the learner for the endorsement of competency against the unit standards covered together with the credits obtained.
- Upon successful completion of the programme, and writing of the international module, i.e. Microsoft Certified Database Administration (MCDBA), the learner will receive an MCDBA Certificate from Microsoft.