IT whiz kids can power up their knowledge with the National Certificate in IT Systems Support (PC Engineering)
Why this course is perfect for you?
Are you a computer whiz? Do your friends and family look to you for technical advice? If so, shift into college mode and enter the world of Damelin to register for the National Certificate: Information Technology: System Support course.
Every organisation, small or large requires the support of an IT expert. You will have the opportunity to mingle with employees on all levels, assisting with PC support. Prepare be the one with all the solutions because let’s face it who doesn’t have ‘computer issues’? Get ready to be the driving force behind implementation and maintenance of various computer networks for a company.
Whoever said that computer fundi’s just sit behind their computer the entire day? As systems support you will be on your feet a lot assisting with hardware and software glitches, which you will have the power to fix. Setting up local networks (LAN), helpdesk support, setting up PCs, hands-on technical support, security issues and eliminating pesky viruses all fall under your range as Systems Support. So if you like being the hero or heroine who saves the day, press start on your future career choice in Systems Support.
Why study with Damelin?
As soon as you join the Damelin family, you become part of a network of students, lecturers and friends, who will assist and support you during this exciting journey in your life. Our courses are designed to make your learning as comfortable as possible, with facilities that allow you to build your career in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our lecturers will provide all the support and guidance you require, so you leave Damelin with an unforgettable campus experience.
How to get in?
Registering for the IT: SYSTEMS SUPPORT (PC Engineering) is simple. We have various touch-points for your convenience. Simply call, email, fill in an online enquiry form, or pop into one of our 17 campuses nationwide, where one of our consultants will gladly assist you.
- Foundational skills in English and Mathematics at NQF level 4/Grade 12 or equivalent
- Ability to use a personal computer competently
Time you will spend on the course
This is a one-year course, with the option to attend either full-time classes during the week.* A year planner and academic calendar is available at the start of the year with dates and times of classes and campus activities to help you plan your schedule.
*1 year full-time study according to certificate requirements.
Course content and modules
Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (70-640)
- The Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) service in Windows Server 2008 provides a centralized authentication service for Microsoft networks
- Upgrade existing domain controllers, domains and forests to Windows Server 2008
- Efficiently administer and automate the administration of users, groups, and computers
- Enable authentication between domain and forests
Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642)
- Configure IP addressing, routing, and IPsec
- Configure name resolution using Domain Name Systems (DNS)
- Configure remote and wireless network access
- Configure Network Access Protection (NAP)
- Configure file and print services
- Monitor and manage a network infrastructure
Windows Server Administration 2008 (70-646)
- Plan and implement Windows Server 2008 server deployment
- Plan and implement Windows Server 2008 server management
- Monitor, maintain, and optimize servers
- Plan application and data provisioning
- Plan and implement high-availability strategies and ensure business continuity
Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure (70-643)
By using this training kit, you will learn how to do the following:
- Deploy Windows servers and clients across a network by using Windows Deployment Services and the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)
- Configure Hyper-V and other Windows virtualization technologies
- Configure high-availability storage solutions for servers
- Configure and manage Terminal Services in Windows Services in Windows Server 2008
- Configure and manage Internet Information Services 7.0
- Configure Windows Media Services
- Configure Windows SharePoint Services
Windows Server Enterprise Administration (70-647)
- Plan network and application services
- Design core identity and access management components
- Design support identity and access management components
- Design for business continuity and data availability
Project + (PKO-003)
- Explain the requirements to complete a pre-project setup
- Identify the characteristics of a project
- Summarise the steps required to validate a project
- Explain the different types of organizational structures
You will cover these modules during the duration of your diploma.
**Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is required to complete this course. WIL is a programme that helps students apply what they’ve learned in a real work setting while earning credits for their qualification.
**Formative and summative assessments will assess all specific outcomes and adhere to all assessment criteria of the learning programme.
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
Materials to stay ahead
A list of prescribed textbooks will be made available at the start of the course. All text books and Lab manuals are excluded from the tuition fees.
Careers you’d be great at
- End-User Support Technician
- IT Technician
- Network Technician
- System Administrator
- LAN Administrator
- Helpdesk Technician
- IT Support Engineer
- Systems Support Engineer
- Desktop Support
The strength in your qualification
This diploma is accredited by the Council on Higher Education at a level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) with the SAQA ID No: 48573.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive the National Certificate: Information Technology: Systems Support.
Take your education to the next degree
Go even further with a higher qualification. Please enquire at the nearest Damelin campus for the prospectus containing post-certificate studies.
*Admission to further your studies remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council