Be a digital Einstein and master the language of programming with the FETC: Information Technology: Systems Development course.
Why this course is perfect for you?
Do you get a buzz from coding and configuring the system components of an information system? Are you a wunderkind in the process of establishing their own app? Then welcome to the world of computer programming.
This course could be your shortcut to success. Systems development refers to the implementation of the IT infrastructure of a company, in the form of an information system that contributes to the company’s smooth running. Damelin will provide you with all the bits and bytes of knowledge to enable you to develop and maintain software applications in most IT environments.
Once you have established an information system for your company you will be responsible for training staff to learn how to operate the system. Creating databases, analysing, decision-making, writing code – all these duties will fall under your line of expertise. So make Damelin your default setting and apply for our course in Information Technology Systems Development.
Why study with Damelin?
As soon as you join the Damelin family, you become part of a network of students, lecturers and friends, who will assist and support you during this exciting journey in your life. Our courses are designed to make your learning as comfortable as possible, with facilities that allow you to build your career in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our lecturers will provide all the support and guidance you require, so you leave Damelin with an unforgettable campus experience.
How to get in?
Registering for the Further Education and Training Certificate in Information Technology: Systems Development is easy. We have various touch-points for your convenience. Simply call, email, fill in an online enquiry form, or pop into one of our 17 campuses nationwide, where one of our consultants will gladly assist you.
- Foundational skills in English and Mathematics at NQF level 3/Grade 11 or equivalent
- Ability to use a personal computer competently
- Competence in the unit standard, "Participate in formal meetings", NQF Level 2 (ID 14911), as completed in this learning programme
Time you will spend on the course
This is a one-year course, with the option to attend full-time classes during the week.* A year planner and academic calendar is available at the start of the year with dates and times of classes and campus activities to help you plan your schedule.
*1 year full time study according to the NQF notional hours
Course content and modules
You will cover these modules during the duration of your certificate.
A) INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
- Describe problem analysis and program design techniques variables, constants, calculations
- Describe different data representations used in computer programmes
- Describe the basic principles of Computer Programming
- Describe the principles used in designing a computer programme
- Operate computer programming development tools
- Demonstrate an understanding of different data representations used in computer programmes
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental programming principles
- Demonstrate an understanding of high level programming language concepts
B) INTRODUCTION TO NETWORKING
- Describe data communication
- Demonstrate knowledge of main features of LANs
- Demonstrate knowledge of main features of WANs
C) CONCEPT OF COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE
- Explain computer architecture elements
- Explain the organisation of a computer
- Describe the design constraints in the design of instruction sets for computers
D) INTRODUCTION TO WEB DESIGN
- Plan the use of a multimedia/web-based authoring computer application with scripting
- Design a multimedia/web-based computer application
- Identify and save text, graphic elements and animation
- Create multimedia/web-based computer application scripts
- Assemble a multimedia/web-based application including scripts
- Explain the network issues related to Internet applications
- Demonstrate an understanding of different user interface methods used for Internet applications
- Explain version control and security issues related to Internet Applications
E) INTRODUCTION TO SYSTEM ANALYSIS
- Define and analyse the problem
- Evaluate solutions
- Implement the solution
- Describe information systems analysis
- Explain different systems analysis techniques used in the industry
- Contribute to team problem solving
- Contribute to group and/or team functions
F) FUNDAMENTALS (REFER TO CAT)
- English 1st language - Level 4
- South African 2nd language - Level 3
- Mathematical literacy - Level 4
G) WORKPLACE LEARNING
This programme includes a compulsory Workplace Learning component. Workplace learning provides important opportunities for professional and personal growth. It addresses specific competencies identified for the acquisition of the qualification, which relates to the development of skills that will make the learner employable and will assist in developing his/her personal skills.
**Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is required to complete this course. WIL is a programme that helps students apply what they’ve learned in a real work setting while earning credits for their qualification.
**Formative and summative assessments will assess all specific outcomes and adhere to all assessment criteria of the learning programme.
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
Materials to stay ahead
A list of prescribed textbooks will be made available at the start of the course. You will also receive an electronic version (e-guide) of this course. Textbooks are excluded from the course fee.
Careers you’d be great at
- Junior System Developer
- Junior Computer Programmer
- Junior System Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Software Developer
- Database Developer
The strength in your qualification
This diploma is accredited by the Council on Higher Education at a level 4 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) with the SAQA ID No: 78965.
On successful completion of the course, Damelin will apply to MICT SETA on the learner’s behalf for the Further Education and Training Certificate: Information Technology: Systems Development.
Take your education to the next degree
Go even further with a higher qualification. Please enquire at the nearest Damelin campus for the prospectus containing post-certificate studies.
*Admission to further your studies remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council