Energetic problem solvers who are nifty with numbers can add to their success with a Certificate in Accounting
Why this course is perfect for you?
Are you a number cruncher? Would you describe yourself as a ‘concrete’ thinker rather than an ‘abstract’ thinker? If so, then a Certificate in Accounting is for you.
From tax departments to manufacturing companies, retail to corporate organisations, as well as consulting companies, accountants are always in demand. Accountants are vital to the functioning of all businesses as they provide trustworthy information regarding financial records. This includes taxation, auditing, corporate finance, business recovery, forensic accounting and insolvency, or accounting systems and processes. A profession in accounting is therefore valued highly by key individuals in business who recognise the critical need for qualified and well trained accounting professionals.
With a Certificate in Accounting you will be able to draft financial statements, manage budgets and evaluate financial performance, providing you with a solid foundation in accounting studies, covering a broad scope of principles and practices.
This certificate is a perfect progression if you have already completed Levels 3 and 4 or if you are at a more advanced stage in your career and want a qualification to give you the confidence and proof that you have the skills to do the job.
Why study with Damelin?
As soon as you join the Damelin family, you become part of a network of students, lecturers and friends, who will assist and support you during this exciting journey in your life. Our courses are designed to make your learning as comfortable as possible, with facilities that allow you to build your career in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our lecturers will provide all the support and guidance you require, so you leave Damelin with an unforgettable campus experience.
How to get in?
Registering for the Certificate in Accounting is simple. We have various touch-points for your convenience. Simply call, email, fill in an online enquiry form, or pop into one of our 17 campuses nationwide, where one of our consultants will gladly assist you.
Be competent in the English language, literacy, communication and mathematical literacy at NQF Level 4. Undertake an initial assessment with the training provider
- The qualification is open access and the training provider will undertake an initial assessment to determine at which stage of the qualification the learner should start. This involves examining their previous learning and current skills in accounting.
Time you will spend on the course
This is a one-year course, in which you will attend full-time classes during the week. A year planner and academic calendar is available at the start of the year with dates and times of classes and campus activities to help you plan your schedule.
Course content and modules
You will cover these modules during the duration of your certificate.
A. Principles of drafting financial statements (knowledge)
- Understand the regularity frame that underpins financial reporting.
- Understand the key features of a published set of accounts.
- Understand the basic principles of consolidation.
- Appreciate the analysis and interpretation of financial statements.
B. Drafting financial statements (skills)
- Draft statutory financial statements for a limited company
- Draft simple consolidated financial statements
- Interpret financial statements using ratio analysis
A. Principles of budgeting (knowledge)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the internal and external business factors in budgets
- Understand why budgets are used
- Understand the skills needed in budget preparation
B. Drafting budgets (skills)
- Prepare forecasts and budgets
- Understand the impact that changes in the economic environment will have one on the budget
- Use budgetary control to ensure organizational targets are met
A. Principles of managing financial performance (knowledge)
- Demonstrate an accurate understanding of the internal and external factors that affect organisations.
- Be aware of the cost accounting techniques needed in monitoring financial performance.
- Understand the techniques necessary for measuring performance and managing costs.
B. Measuring financial performance (skill)
- Collate information from various sources and prepare routine cost reports.
- Make suggestions for improving financial performance by monitoring and analysing information.
- Prepare performance reports for management
Internal Control and Accounting System
A. Principles of internal control (knowledge)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of accounting within the organisation.
- Understand the importance and use of internal control systems
- Be able to identify and use the appropriate accounting system to meet specific organisational requirements.
B. Evaluating accounting systems (skills)
- Evaluate the accounting system and identify areas for improvement.
- Make recommendations to improve the accounting system.
Credit Management and Control
A. Principles of Credit Management (knowledge)
- Understand how legislation impacts upon credit control.
- Understand how to prepare and use information from a variety of sources to manage the organisation’s granting of credit.
- Be aware of a range of techniques and methods of credit control that may be used within an organisation.
B. Control of debt and credit (skills)
- Grant credit to customers within organisational guidelines.
- Manage the supply of credit.
A. Principles of personal tax (knowledge)
- Demonstrate and understanding of legislation and procedures relating to personal tax
- Understand the current taxation principles of income from employment
- Understand the current principles of savings, non-savings and dividend income for an individual
- Understand the current taxation principles of property income for an individual
- Understand the current principles of basic capital gains taxation for an individual
B. Calculating personal tax (skills)
- Calculate income from all sources accurately
- Calculate accurately the tax payable on income
- Account for capital gains tax correctly
- Prepare accurate computations and complete relevant parts of self-assessment tax returns correctly
A. Principles of Business Tax (knowledge)
- Understand the impact of legislation and legislative changes.
- Understand tax law and its implications for unincorporated businesses.
- Understand tax law and its implications for incorporated businesses.
- Understand how to treat capital assets.
B. Calculating Business Tax (skills)
- Prepare the relevant pages of a tax return for an unincorporated business and accurately produce the computations to support this.
- Correctly complete corporation tax returns with all supporting computations for incorporated businesses.
A. Principles of external auditing
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal and professional standards required for an external auditor
- Understand the organisations external auditing procedure
- Understand a range of auditing techniques and know which to use when planning audits on different aspects of the systems
- Understand a range of audit documentation and recognise the appropriateness
B. Auditing Financial statements (skills)
- Be able to help plan an audit accurately identifying areas to be verified and any associated risks
- Undertake an audit under supervision
- Prepare draft reports for approval
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
Materials to stay ahead
A list of prescribed textbooks will be made available at the start of the course. You will also receive an electronic version (e-guide) of this course. Textbooks are excluded from the course fee.
Careers you’d be great at
- Accounts manager
- Finance manager
- Management accountant
- Debtors Clerk
The strength in your qualification
Upon successful completion of the programme, AAT will issue learners with a results letter outlining the modules covered. Both AAT and FASSET will award the learner with the Certificate: Accounting, SAQA ID 80189 (Credits 120)
Take your education to the next degree
Please enquire at the nearest Damelin campus for the prospectus containing post-certificate studies.
Go even further with a higher qualification. With this Certificate you can study further at Damelin or another accredited institution.
*Admission to further your studies remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council