Be a computer boffin, with an edge for business-information with a Bachelor of Commerce in Information Management.
Why this course is perfect for you?
Are you are IT enthusiast who is fascinated by microchips, virtual-memory or WORM? If so, then use your computer genius to transform the business environment, with a stimulating career in IT.
Businesses today are recognising the value of computer-experts to run and manage the information management flow in a company. To move information instantly at the touch of a button is a unique skill, and is in great demand. The traditional IT professional is no longer stuck in the back computer room; instead they are in the frontline of major decisions, adding their expert knowledge to how information is communicated.
Learn about data management, record keeping, e-commerce, web design, software development, and how to support business strategies with current technology. The Bachelor of Commerce in Information Management allows you to venture into various career paths, based on your unique personality and interest.
Why study at Damelin?
As soon as you join the Damelin family, you become part of a network of students, lecturers and friends, who will assist and support you during this exciting journey in your life. Our courses are designed to make your learning as comfortable as possible, with facilities that allow you to build your career in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Our lecturers will provide all the support and guidance you require, so you leave the Damelin home with an unforgettable campus experience.
How to get in?
Registering for the Bachelor of Commerce in Information Management is easy. We have various touch-points for your convenience. Simply call, email, fill in an online enquiry form, or pop into one of our 17 campuses nationwide, where one of our consultants will gladly assist you.
- A Grade 12 Certificate with admission to degree studies.
- Grade 12 Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy is a requirement.
- If applicants have not done Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy to Grade 12 level, they will be required to attend tutorials in addition to lectures for Math Literacy.
- The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution (English), coupled with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or even better, in four subjects chosen from the designated subject list.
- Students who achieve 24 points or more may be admitted to the degree programme with no restrictions.
- Applicants 23 years and older, with four Grade 12 subjects, and with at least 3 passes in one sitting, with a minimum 3 E’s (SG) and one E (HG) symbols, may apply for a conditional exemption.
- At least five years post-Secondary School experience in the field in which the student wish to study.
- Mature age applicants, 45 years and older without a school leaving qualification, may apply for conditional exemption.
- Foreign Students whose first language is not English, may be required to provide proof of proficiency in English prior to admission to the programme.
Time you will spend on the course
You can complete the degree in 3 years full-time or 4 years, part-time. A year planner and academic calendar is available at the start of the year with dates and times of classes and campus activities to help you plan your schedule.
Course content and modules
You will cover these modules during the duration of your diploma.
YEAR 1: SEMESTER MODULES
*Indicates subjects that need to be completed in the sequence stipulated.
Information Systems 1A*
Business Management 1A*
Financial Accounting 1A*
Software Development (Visual Basic)
Information Systems 1B*
Business Management 1B*
Financial Accounting 1B*
Advanced Software Development (Visual Basic)
YEAR 2: SEMESTER MODULES
Information Systems 2A*
Business Management 2A*
Web Design and DTP
Principles of Databases
Information Systems 2B*
Business Management 2B*
Database Implementation (Oracle)
YEAR 3: SEMESTER MODULES
Information Systems 3A*
Business Management 3A*
Information Systems 3B*
Business Management 3B*
Click here for quick access to the fact sheet for more info.
Materials to stay ahead
A list of prescribed text books will be made available at the start of the course. You will also receive an electronic version (e-guide) of this course. Textbooks are excluded from the course fee.
Careers you’d be great at
The strength in your qualification
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a Bachelor of Commerce in Information Management.
Take your education to the next degree
Go even further with a higher qualification. With this degree you can study further at Damelin or another accredited institution.
*Admission to further your studies remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council.