Certificate | Part Time
This module allows candidates to understand the main concepts underlying the secure use of ICT in daily life and to apply relevant techniques and applications to maintain a secure network connection, use the Internet safely and securely, and manage data and information appropriately. This programme is suitable for security officers, auditors, security professionals, site administrators and anyone who is concerned about the integrity of the network infrastructure and data.
The programme duration is 16 hours and the tuition is face-to-face. Each Damelin campus has a different tuition schedule. Programmes are offered during the week, in the evenings, or on Saturdays.
Learners could pursue any of the following career fields:
- IT Auditors
- IT Security Professionals
- Network Administrators
- Database Administrators
Upon successful completion of the programme, Damelin will apply on the learner’s behalf for the ICDL IT SecurityCertificate from ICDL South Africa. The ICDL Certificate is an internationally recognised qualification.
- Foundational skills in English and Mathematics at NQF level 3/Grade 11 or equivalent
- Ability to use a personal computer competently
- Competence in the unit standard, "Participate in formal meetings", NQF Level 2 (ID 14911), as completed in this learning programme
Additional assessment fees may be applicable. Refer to Academic Fee Schedule.
- Understand the key concepts relating to the importance of secure information and data, physical security, privacy and identity theft
- Protect a computer, device or network from malware and unauthorised access.
- Understand the types of networks, connection types and network specific issues, including firewalls.
- Browse the World Wide Web and communicate on the Internet securely.
- Understand security issues related to communications including email and instant messaging.
- Back-up and restore data appropriately and safely, and securely dispose of data and devices.