National Qualification | Full-Time and Part-Time
The Diploma in Travel and Tourism aims to provide students with sound knowledge and practical skills required to perform effectively in the travel and tourism industry. The purpose of the qualification is to provide students with the ability to operate and apply themselves within the travel and tourism environment through effective communication and the development of managerial skills.
This programme equips students to undertake travel and tourism functions such as the management of cultural and natural resources, sustainable development and the coordination of tourism activities. On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to seek entry level positions in the field of travel agency operations, tour guiding, tour operations and events. Students will also develop entrepreneurial skills to start their own small, micro and medium enterprises.
The programme duration is 3 years on a full-time basis, or 4 years on a part-time basis. Tuition is face to face and is scheduled per campus. Programmes are offered during the week on a full-time and part-time basis. Part-time tuition is scheduled as per the stipulated planner.
Students can pursue a career in the following fields:
- Travel Arrangements
- Tour Guiding
- Tour Operations
- Event Management
On successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a Diploma in Travel and Tourism.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Diploma endorsement, or
- A National Certificate Vocational (NCV) at NQF Level 4 with Diploma endorsement, or
- A Senior Certificate (SC), or Amended Senior Certificate (ASC), or
- An equivalent international school-leaving certificate / foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level, or
- Age Exemption (23 years or older):
- At least five years post-Secondary School experience in the field in which the student wants to study and
- Proof of English language proficiency and
- Senior Certificate or equivalent
- Mature age applicants, 45 years and older without a school leaving qualification, may apply for conditional exemption
*Indicates subjects that need to be completed in the sequence stipulated, i.e. it is a pre-requisite to first complete Module A, before registering for Module B, or complete 1st Year, before registering for 2nd Year.
Travel and Tourism Development 1 *
Travel and Tourism Management 1*
Travel and Tourism Practice 1A*
Travel and Tourism Practice 1B*
Travel and Tourism Marketing 1
**Students will be given an opportunity to complete the EUC entrance exam. Should a student pass the exam, they will be exempted from attending tuition for this module and credits will be awarded.
Travel and Tourism Development 2*
Travel and Tourism Management 2*
Travel and Tourism Practice 2A*
Travel and Tourism Practice 2B
Tourism Marketing 2*
Law for Tourism
Travel and Tourism Development 3*
Travel and Tourism Management 3*
Travel and Tourism Practice 3A*
Travel and Tourism Practice 3B*
***Note that it is compulsory for all students to complete 160 hours of Experiential Learning in the workplace.