National Qualification | Full-Time and Part-Time
The Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies is aimed at students who wish to work in the print and electronic media sector. The purpose of the qualification is to provide students with the skills and techniques required in the media environment such as, gathering and analysing information from different sources for all media, producing stories for various media, communicating effectively, producing layout for print media, editing and publication management.
On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to seek positions in the field of journalism in a range of areas such as publication editing, news reporting, news investigation, sub-editing, copywriting and freelance writing in various media sectors. Graduates will have developed the competencies to function in the media industry and the qualification will provide the basis for further development of the student into specialist areas within the media industry.
The programme duration is 3 years on a full-time basis, or 4 years on a part-time basis. Tuition is face to face and is scheduled per campus. Programmes are offered during the week on a full-time and part-time basis. Part-time tuition is scheduled as per the stipulated planner.
Students can pursue a career in the following fields:
- Publication Editing
- Freelance Writing
- News Reporting
- Desktop Publishing
On successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Diploma endorsement, or
- A National Certificate Vocational (NCV) at NQF Level 4 with Diploma endorsement, or
- A Senior Certificate (SC), or Amended Senior Certificate (ASC), or
- An equivalent international school-leaving certificate / foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level, or
- Age Exemption (23 years or older):
- At least five years post-Secondary School experience in the field in which the student wants to study and
- Proof of English language proficiency and
- Senior Certificate or equivalent
- Mature age applicants, 45 years and older without a school leaving qualification, may apply for conditional exemption
* Indicates subjects that need to be completed in the sequence stipulated, i.e. it is a pre-requisite to first complete Module A, before registering for Module B, or complete 1st Year, before registering for 2nd Year.
News Reporting 1*
Media Production 1*
Language Studies 1A*
Language Studies 1B*
Media Studies 1*
**Students will be given an opportunity to complete the EUC entrance exam. Should a student pass the exam they will be exempted from attending tuition for this module and credits will be awarded.
News Reporting 2*
Media Production 2*
Language Studies 2A*
Language Studies 2B*
Photoshop for Photographers
Media Studies 2*
News Reporting 3*
Media Production 3*
***Note that it is compulsory for all students to complete 160 hours of Experiential Learning in the work place.