Certificate | Full Time
This programme is designed to introduce learners to the fast growing and competitive fashion design industry. Successful learners are able to demonstrate specialised skills and techniques such as developing a design concept from conceptual stages through the process of designing, developing the patterns and producing the final garment using different finishing techniques. The programme also provides the learner with a broad range of knowledge in the field of clothing manufacture production operations.
1 year full-time study according to certificate requirements.
With this qualification, successful learners could pursue a career as a:
- Junior Fashion Designer
- Junior Clothing Designer
- Junior Fashion Buyer
Upon successful completion of the programme, the learner will receive the Damelin Fashion Design and Retail Buying Certificate.
Candidates accessing this qualification should demonstrate their ability to read, analyse and reflect on study material at least on NQF Level 3. Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge, comprehension and application of language at NQF Level 3/Grade 11 or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge, comprehension and application of Mathematics at NQF Level 2/Grade 10 or equivalent.
Learners are expected to make provision for materials, fabrics, portfolio bags, art equipment, stationery, sewing/cutting tools, subject to quote from suppliers, and have access to a sewing machine. A list will be provided by the local Damelin Campus. Additional assessment fees may be applicable. Refer to Academic Fee Schedule.
Drawing and Illustration Techniques
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of techniques in fashion illustration is demonstrated and applied by styling own design concepts
- The relevant theory, principles and concepts of art are discussed and applied in drawing and illustration
Basic Computer Skills
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Spreadsheets, presentation and word processing for business
- The technique of creating a pattern from a design is discussed and illustrated
- Various patterns are drafted meeting instructions
- Learn about the fashion design process and fundamental design techniques and skills
Garment Construction A
- Processes of clothing manufacturing and construction are identified
- Advanced methods of finishing are explained and examples identified
Garment Construction B
- Apply advanced methods of garment construction
- Design techniques
- Computer Aided Design
- Use of Adobe Photoshop for image editing
- Creativity and entrepreneurship
- South African business environment
- Identity the functions of a retail buyer
- Understand the elements of retail buying
- English 1st language
- South African 2nd language
- Mathematical literacy
This programme includes a compulsory Workplace Learning component. Workplace Learning provides important opportunities for professional and personal growth. It addresses specific competencies identified for the acquisition of the qualification, which relates to the development of skills that will make the learner employable and will assist in developing his/her personal skills.